5 bands for lolitas

Total false advertising, I've never listened to Mois Dix Mois!

Sooo...the original theme for this post was "5 movies for lolitas". However I'm not much of a movie person at all! The ones I do like tend to be action movies or guilty pleasure movies that are so bad they're good, so not a lot of material to make a "movies for lolitas"-post with. So, I decided to switch from movies to music, it's close enough, right??
Because I did actually try to make a post about movies, I do have one recommendation, namely Murder on the Orient Express.
It came out last year and a friend and I went to see it in cinema, and I liked the vintage feel of it a lot. It's by no means some kind of masterpiece but it's very enjoyable for a movie night! Apparently some people are irked that it doesn't do justice to the original book, but admittedly I didn't know it was a book adaptation when I went to see it so I can't give my opinion on that.


Now, onto music!
I made it a goal to not pick any of the 'usual' bands or singers that tend to frequent these lists (like Moi Dix Mois or Kana), and I tried to instead find music that'd fit a lolita lifestyle with its vibe. That is however a very vague thing, as every persons idea of a lolita lifestyle is very different, so what I think fits beautifully might not be your cup of tea at all. I still hope you'll give these bands a listen because IMO they're great and I think several of them don't get nearly enough recognition!
I've tried to get the videos from the original sources, but some weren't on the official accounts so I've picked fan uploaded videos instead.

1. Lord Huron

Lord Huron is a band of varying members (at the moment it's four members I think, but there've been four others too, it's a bit vague) that's named after Lake Huron, which the founding member Ben Schneider used to visit and play music at the shores of. If that's not a romantic start of a band I don't know what is! Their music is very romantic and "travely", in a sense that it makes me want to pack a bag and head out into the world. Some of my favourite songs:

The Night We Met

The Ghost On The Shore


Meet Me In The Woods
 The Yawning Grave


 2. Caro Emerald

Caro Emerald is a more well known name on this list. She's a Dutch(!) singer with a very vintage style that I like a lot. Recently she's done several songs together with an orchestra that are just stunning. She's not nearly as obscure as the others on this list so I'll just link some of her songs instead of typing a whole paragraph:

The Ghost Of You (with the Metropole Orkest)


A Night Like This (with the Metropole Orkest)

 3. American Murder Song

American Murder Song is a two-man band consisting of Terrance Zdunich and Saar Hendelman who make ballads about famous murder stories from Americas past. The music is very catchy, both their voices are great and I like the unsettling undertone of this being based on real crimes that actually happened. I ADORE their music. I only posted three videos here because I didn't want to clog up this post with *just* AMS, but if you're into their music, I suggest also checking out Lullaby, Edward, Unwed Henry, Johnny, I'm Always Walking As Somebody Else and The Five Sisters.
They also have their own website with a merch shop here, if you're interested.

The Indiana Man

Pretty Lavinia

Sweet Rosalie

4. Of Monsters And Men

A five-headed, slightly more well known Icelandic band that had one big hit with Little Talks, but is very rarely discussed for any of their other songs. It's a shame, because they've made some great ones! Their usual repertoire is a bit less pop-y and more romantic sounding, with some long bits of no singing and just music. It's very calming music IMO. Also, I love the simplicity of their videos.

Mountain Sound

Your Bones

Yellow Light

King And Lionheart


 5. Caravan Palace

Caravan Palace is a French band of seven people that's technically electro, but their music has a strong vintage influence and I think it makes for a very funky mix. Some of their more popular songs have very unique animated videos that are a lot of fun to watch!

Lone Digger (small warning for copious amounts of unexpected violence in this video!)

Rock It For Me


 Suzy

And that makes five! This post was a lot of fun to put together as I got to listen to a bunch of great songs and pick out the best. I hope you'll find these bands as great as I do.
For this post I've tried to pick music that was vintage or romantic sounding, as I think those kinds of music fit with a lolita lifestyle. I also think more gritty music fits well, but I don't know enough about those kinds of bands to be posting any here. What music do you think would be great with lolita? Or do you think 'lolita music' doesn't exist? I'd love to hear you opinion!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?