5 pieces any lolita wardrobe should have, regardless of style.



Here it is, the first post in the 52 lolita posts challenge! The topic is 5 things every lolita should have regardless of style, but I ended up with six. Not a problem, I think!

1. A white peter pan-collared blouse


This is just such a staple! There's something undeniably lolita about a peter pan-collar IMO, and white is a super versatile colour as it goes with just about any other colour you can come up with. Especially in oldschool I consider a nice peter pan blouse to be a total must-have. Of course in gothic lolita you might be better off with a black one, but a white one is still very usable for when you want to lighten up a coord a little, or for days when you feel like wearing something that's undeniably lolita rather than goth.

2. Pearls


 Be it bracelets or necklaces or strings to pin into your hair, pearls are ubiquitous these days, especially with the whole mermaid trend that's going on. They're super versatile and classy and they come in a myriad of colours so there's something out there for everyone. Wear a single necklace to class up a simple coord, or stack a multitude of pearl bracelets for a more modern take on the 2010 OTT sweet plastic bracelet piles.

3. A rectangle headdress 


I just can't not put these on a list about staples, I'm sorry! I just love them so much and I'm really happy they've gotten a resurgence. I feel rectangle headdresses, like the blouse I picked, are just such staples, and I personally think any lolita should own at least one. With the myriad of styles that's come out recently there's bound to be one out there for you, whether you like your headwear small and tasteful, super decadent or extra ruffly and frilly.  My personal favourite new take on the rectangle headdress has to be BTSSB's. I feel they've kept close enough to the basic shape of the headdress to still be recognizable as one, but modern enough to actually be popular. Plus, they're just so pretty with all that delicate lace, the pearls, the flowers...

 4. A roomy, neutral bag 

Initially I was going to look for a bag for each style, like I did with my previous picks. Then I stumbled upon this one by Innocent World, and I knew I didn't need to look any further. It'd fit with every style due to the classy yet frilly design and it looks spaceous! No need to mess with perfection.  Anyways, one of the most common complaints I've seen going around is about how little fits inside a brand bag, especially usakumyas whose zippers seem to be decorational rather than actually useful considering the size of the space inside. A lot of girls end up carrying a cutesy lolita bag, and then a second plain bag (or even *shudders* a plastic supermarket bag) to actually carry their stuff in. It always seemed like such a waste of a cute coord to me. I have just a handful of bags, but I made sure all of them are neutral and fairly big. My biggest one is an Angelic Pretty knockoff (which I didn't know when I bought it, oops) that fits so much I've used it as a carryon on planes. Life is just so much easier when you can carry all the garbage you want with you while still being cute. 

5. Lace tights



These are so pretty and go with so much! They're mostly worn in classic, but I think they go with just about anything. Wear them in goth to give it a decadent flair, wear them with a sweet floral for a hime look, or wear them underneath OTK's in oldschool for a true-to-GLB Mana-esque touch. The only downside  to lace tights that I can think of is that pretty ones can be hard to find (especially in pure white!) and that they rip easily, but I suppose that could be said about brand socks too. 

 6. Flower combs/pins/clips


These are ideal for the daily lolita! You don't always want to put a lot of effort into looking cute, and on those days you can simply put in a few flower clips or a comb and look classy without any effort. They can also be combined with bigger accessories for a super opulent look if you're into that. Flowerwise, I think Victorian Maiden makes the perfect accessories. They're simple but very pretty and they come in lots of colours. I have no idea where those pink pins are from, but I really wanted to include them because I think they're perfect for snazzing up a sweet updo!

So, that concludes my first post in the 52 lolita posts challenge. I plan on making it all the way to number 52, I hope I can get that far. In the meantime, do tell me your opinion about lolita staples! Do you agree or disagree with mine? I'd love to hear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?