A whimsical collection

I consider myself an oldschool lolita. Even outside oldschool, the dresses I tend to favor are simpler pieces with simple prints or no print at all. That being said, I do have a deep love for one sugary sweet print: Whimsical Vanilla-chan! Back when I was still trying to figure out what style I was most into I happened to stumble upon someone selling the round jumperskirt set. Being the crazy cat person I am, I bought it and fell in love with it! In the roughly four years since I've gotten quite a collection of Vanilla-chan pieces, and in this post I'd like to share them with you!

My whole collection! I had issues getting it all nicely on one photo, so please excuse me for the wonky picture!
As of April 2018, I have:
- the houndstooth Vanilla-chan coat in mint
- the Vanilla-chan JSK in mint
- the Whimsical Vanilla-chan round JSK in mint, pink and black
- Ladder Ribbon OTKs in black and mint (thank you Cupcake Kamisama!)- technically these aren't part of the Vanilla-chan series, but they were released at the same time with perfectly matching colours so I count them as part of it regardless.
- pink socks from the 2016 Angelic Pretty lucky pack. Not part of the series at all, but I bought them to match it so I'm including them here still!
- the Vanilla-chan OTKs in black and mint, somehow I managed to get both of these unworn! You can still see the clips at the toes. The cats on them are actually fuzzy, I adore these!
- unknown Angelic Pretty headdress. Again, not part of the release, bought it to match it so here it is. It's hard to see on the pictures because it's all white, but it's fuzzy and pearl chains and pink beads on the sides. It's also really toasty and perfect for winter!
- the Whimsical Vanilla-chan headbow in black and mint.
- the Whimsical Cat necklace and ring in lavender. They match nothing, but I found them at a decent price (Angelic Pretty's cat jewelry goes for stupid prices!) so I snapped them up regardless.


The coat, matching JSK and a closeup of the adorable applique! These are both made of super heavy wool, they're amazing for cold weather. The coat also comes with a bunch of detachable bows (that I forgot to picture) and detachable cuffs and collar (collar is on the coat, the cuffs are next to the detachable bows). The cape is detachable too, and unlike most capes it actually attaches with buttons so it feels way more durable than the usual loose capelet. The applique is identical on both pieces and of really high quality, it's made of velvet and fake fur, and the pearl chain actually dangles loose like a real necklace!

My round jumperskirts, and both my first and last pieces! The pink one is my most recent purchase, I told myself I was going to quit buying pink dresses because I never feel wholly comfortable in them, but I made an exception for this one. It was a total steal too, I think I paid around 50 euros for it!
I only have round jumperskirts because, truth be told, I really don't like the other cuts Vanilla-chan has. I dislike the tiered skirt on the regular jumperskirt (never understood why you'r tier a printed dress, it makes the print impossible to see) and the onepiece is too stuffy for me with its long sleeves. I think the round jumperskirt is the perfect design though! It's frilly and unique, simple enough to show off the print and I adore the beaded lace on the waistline.


Lastly, the accessories and legwear. Not much to say about it, honestly. It's the matching stuff to the dresses I love and I think they're all beautiful pieces, but I haven't specifically hunted for any of it. I happen to have good luck and friends who notify me when anything Vanilla-chan goes for sale somewhere.

Next up are some detail shots! I'll post these separately to show the detail best.


Something I love about Vanilla-chan is how Angelic pretty has kept some details reoccuring between releases. For example, look at the Dolly Cat jumperskirt that came out five years later:


It's a very different dress, sure, but it still has the round collar (this time in the shape of a bib), pearls on the straps and brooch and the lines of bubbles going down the skirt look a lot like the strips of lace running down Whimsical Vanilla-chan. It's definitely more modern looking, but to me it looks a lot like a modern reimagining of the old piece.


And again, another two years later with Romantic Cat, there's the round collar (under the detachable jabot), lots of pearls and a stripe-like design going down the skirt to meet the print, this time lines of roses. This dress also has the line of lace around the waist. It's a new and much more modern looking dress, it even comes in a trendy grey, but it has lots of details that go back seven years.


A post like this wouldn't be complete without a coord photo! This is the last time I've worn Vanilla-chan, to a friends birthday. The pink jumperskirt had just come in and I came up with this coord for it! While it isn't very visible, I had low buns with small pink bows in them, inspired by the original advertisement for the print. Even though I'm not a big fan of very pink and sweet coords, I like how this one came out and I felt very pretty in it!

And, can't own a cat print without wearing it to a cat cafe!

Lastly, the ~future~ of my collection! While I have no solid plans of expanding it anytime soon (I'm very happy with what I have!) there are some things I'd like to get someday. Basically, I wouldn't shell out for anything right now, but if anyone were to give me $1000 out of the blue, this is what I'd buy with it:


The original Vanilla-Chan jewelry. I love the ones that I have, but the oldschool lolita in me just really wants the original old stuff!

The lavender round jumperskirt. I already nearly have all the colourways, might as well go all the way! Plus, I really like lavender, it's one of my favourite colours.


 Chocolat-Chan Going Out dresses, in these colourways. They both have that old slightly awkward look to them that I love in oldschool, and the red jumperskirt would be perfect for the holidays.


Vanilla-chan cape in white. The whole series is very wintery IMO, and this cute cape would be a lovely wintery addition.


And lastly, Whimsical Cat stuffed pouch! This thing is just completely ridiculous and I love it. It looks like a real cat that's gone through the washer with its fur going everywhere and the slightly lopsided eyes and I think it's stupidly adorable.

So that's it, my collection, why I love it and where it might someday go! Do you have a collection of a certain print? Would you want one or do you think they go too far? Let me know!


Comments

  1. Your 'unknown' socks are Ladder Ribbon, I believe. I have them in sax or at least they look like the ones Ihave in sax. And the pink ones look like Whip Collection OTKs. (Can you tell that I'm a bit obsessed with OTKs? :P)
    I've never found a series that I'd want to complete to this extent, but it's so aesthetically pleasing when someone else does. To me that would be excessive, since I don't have enough storage space to keep pieces for the sake of a collection, as well as probably wouldn't wear all the colours, but who knows, maybe one day I'll find that dress or series that will utterly grab me. :P
    Also wow, that pattern matching at the zip on the Whimsical Vanilla-chan JSK! THAT is seriously impressive, I feel like it's a detail you don't see so much anymore - probably because it must be time consuming to add, but even the border prints on AP dresses aren't always pattern matched. This is where older releases really win, they have so many details that you just don't see or get any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thanks a lot for the OTK info! I can remember print names no problem but stuff like socks always end up slipping my mind!
      Storage space is definitely an issue, haha! Luckily I have a fairly big room but I can imagine that if you live in a smaller space you'd have to see if the collection is worth the sacrifice of room to you.
      And the thing about older releases is very true! You don't see little things like that anymore at all. It makes me so happy though when the print matches up at the seams or the zipper, it really shows the attention that goes into a piece!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?