Dutch coords!


So, sometime back, Juliette et Justine came up with a dress that in their head probably sounded very French. Sunset orange and a waving French banner. (I also remember it having rabbits and tulips but considering I haven't been able to find anything like that I'm starting to think I just hallucinated that part...)
The end result looked pretty...Dutch. So, I figured it'd be fun to make some super Dutch-looking lolita coords! I tried to draw from all different sources to get some super different looking outfits- I could've done 100% orange, but that would be boring (and eyesearing).

Straight Up Just The Dutch Flag



Super creative? Not really. But it's cute, dammit! I couldn't not make a sailor coord for a country that's half below sea level. Plus, that hair clip. Usually when brands want a horizontal French flag they make sure to put the blue side up, but AatP seems to not have gotten that memo. Oh well!
When wearing this, I'd remove the white bow on the blouse to make it look like an OP instead of a JSK/blouse combo, and maybe pin the hairbow to a beret. I wanted a seafaring rather than a piraty look, so I went with this classic little suitcase over the usual treasure chest bag.

Dutch Golden Age Aristocrat

I figured the Dutch Golden Age would make for a really cool gothic coord, as all people wore back then was black. While people around Europe were dressing up in beautiful colours and jewels, the Dutch stuck to black to show how modest and frugal they were (even though they would wear all silk, velvet or lace). This skirt was a total no-brainer, as it's a beautiful black-on-black jacquard (very era appropriate) with a corset waist (also very appropriate) and bustle ribbons to wear it several ways (money saver!). It's even named the Vermeer skirt! The blouse on the right has the perfect collar, full and lacey without going full-on neck ruff. The jacket mimicks the Golden Age style of dress, with a loose jacket and a stomacher. The cuffs also fit in very well. I didn't pick any accessories because I thought the frilly blouse and jacquard fabric themselves made for enough detail already, but you could always wear some cross necklaces peeping from underneath the collar or some roses in your hair. I thought about adding an era-approppriate head covering, but whatever I did it kept looking off, so I decided to not include any.

Kings Day Comfy

In case you don't know what Kings Day is, it's the birthday of our king and it's celebrated throughout the country with dressing up silly and flea markets! In Amsterdam they also host huge parties, but since I don't live there and only know the flea markets myself I went with those instead. Now, Kings Day is a day of dressing up brightly, be it subtly with just an orange shirt or all out with head to toe neon orange, a lei and face paint. This orange dress would be absolutely perfect for it. Considering you're never in a million years going to find matching orange shoes or a headpiece, I went with all white. I also wanted the outfit to be comfortable, as the last thing you want at a day out digging through piles of old clothes is feeling stuffy. Kneesocks and low heels are cute and easy to wear, and simple buns or twintails with bow combs are adorable and it keeps your hair out of your eyes. I added a little crown because, well, what better day than Kings Day to wear a crown? Finally I went with a big woven bag, one that can handle being put on the pavement while you browse and is big enough to carry all your findings home for you. To top it off, this one has orange flowers!

Orange Elegance


First of all, sorry for the weird pictures, JetJ has some serious lack of stock pictures available.
I couldn't make a whole post about Dutch coords and not include the dress that inspired me! It's a really bright dress and I didn't want the final coord to be an eyesore, so I did my best to make it look very opulent while also toning down the colouring a little. The pearls, gloves and socks (the pink ones) add some brightness and what I think is a JetJ-ish vibe, while the wide-collared blouse, neutral bonnet and high boots tone the overall look down a little. I think this coord would be lovely with a little vintage bag and big lashes to really emphasize the opulent princessy feel.


That's all for this post! I had to cherrypick coord ideas here, I still have several that I think would be interesting (a Delfts blue coord, one with a painting dress...) but I decided on these so I had a nice collection of substyles and inspiration sources. I don't think I'd ever actually wear any of these as the Netherlands isn't patriotic whatsoever and they are very flashy, but they were a lot of fun to put together!
What do you think of nationalistic coords? Would you ever wear one?

Comments

  1. Those are really fun! The first and last are probably my favourite, although there's something really endearing about the King's Day outfit (I just have a ver ysoft spot for country looks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Honestly me too, country is like a perfect combination of cute and comfortable. Although I don't think I'll be going for that shade of orange anytime soon, haha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?