My wardrobe turnover



The next part in the 52 posts challenge! This one is 'my wardrobe turnover', or a time you changed out part (or all) of your wardrobe. I've had a few of these! Not in the sense of "actually selling off chunks" because I love my pieces too much and I think a lot before I buy anything, but in the sense of changing what aesthetic I look for in it. For this post I've gone way back and tried to find the very images that inspired me back then, so you really can get a look into my head! I hope you enjoy!

Wardrobe goals #1: Goth

When I started out in lolita I was a (horrible) mallgoth and I wasn't looking to get into lolita at all! I happened to stumble upon a post by F Yeah Lolita about adding lolita bits and pieces into a gothic wardrobe and I was super intrigued by the fancy look it gave. I started slowly dreaming of a gothic lolita wardrobe. I was only 15-16 at this point so my taste was....not great lol. That bodyline skirt I especially lusted after...yikes! At this point Black Peace Now and Moi Meme Moitie were my favourite brands, but BPN went out of business right before I got into lolita and Moitie was way out of my budget at the time. I mostly kept to online windowshopping.


Wardrobe goals #2: Oldschool

After maybe a year of ogling online shops and following releases, I bought my first real lolita piece. A local seller was selling an AatP jumperskirt and even though it was brown I got it because it had spoopy gothy skulls and roses and jailbars on it. When I tried it on though, the cute cut and the thick lace looked and felt so different than expected, and I loved it! I looked up more information on this style and found oldschool lolita. Even though Rose Jail isn't particularly oldschool, I'd still say it was my gateway into the style.

Wardrobe goals #3: AP sweet

I'd been following Angelic Pretty releases pretty much since I'd gotten an interest in lolita, but for some reason I was convinced it didn't suit me. I saw myself as edgy and scary and not at all as cutesy or the type to wear pastel lacy dresses. I one day stumbled upon someone selling two Vanilla-chan sets, and because I loved cats (and secretly loved those dresses, but didn't dare to quite admit that yet) I showed the post to my mother. Who promptly offered to buy them for my birthday, because they weren't that expensive and I think she must've seen in my eyes that I REALLY loved them. I expected them to become special meetup-only pieces, but they were so comfortable and cute I ended up wearing them close to daily! The socks that came with them are pretty damn worn by now from constant wearing. I now have a Vanilla-chan hoard, so I guess that just proves mother does know best, haha!
Another inspiration to me from this time (that I didn't fit into the pictures below because I just love every single outfit of hers) is Rosalynns blog! I never quite got to her level of sugary sweet lolita but I loved going through her blog and looking at her impeccable outfits and fun tea party reports. Plus she's in the same comm, so I actually got to meet her and talk to her! (she's a total sweetheart, if you wanna know💓)


Wardrobe goals #4 and #5: Accurate oldschool and EGL

I'm putting these together because they weren't so new to me, just rethinking stuff I already loved, and they happened around the same time. I was well into sweet and oldschool by now and I had a single stray Moitie dress floating around my wardrobe. I got into the then just created oldschool lolita community on facebook, where I saw a lolita that did oldschool like nobody else: Ophelia Doe. Her super accurate take on oldschool really inspired me to evolve my own style and make it more 'period accurate' if you will. Around the same time I started looking towards Moitie again, not just as eye candy but as potential next buy, mostly because of the (sadly now gone) blog of Bonbon Malefique as well as one very specific post about Moitie clothes by Tamulove on Daily_Lolita (yes, the super old super dead livejournal platform!). I used to like the deconstructed pieces Moitie did, but that was mostly just because I saw them as the 'gothiest' and I wanted to be super goth. Tamuloves outfit that paired Chanel and Moitie showed me how gorgeous slick and stylish Moitie could be, instead of just gawff and spooky. These days when I wear Moitie I try to go for a sleek and classy look like her!

Here's tamuloves post, if you're interested, and here is the blog of Ophelia. Please check it out, lolita blogs need so much more love!


Wardrobe goal #6: Flowers and hime

The most recent one and the one I'm still in now! I was looking through my wardrobe and I noticed that it can be pretty much divided into four chunks: nonprints, tartan and checks, cats and flowers. And only then did it strike me that damn, I really like flowers! I do have a couple, varying from cutesy AP-illustrated ones to tacky curtain florals by Metamorphose. For some reason I never really allowed myself to get too much into them, but now I've realized just how much I like them and how much wear they get I intend to stock up on them! There are some AP prints I've liked for years, there are BTSSB florals that melt my heart and I've wanted a super tacky couch gobelin dress for some time. My current thing for flowers really hit it's peak with my tea party outfit, but I don't think it'll be going away anytime soon!



Phew, that was a lot of typing and a big trip down memory lane. Some of these pictures made me super nostalgic! Honestly I don't think I can really call this a 'wardrobe turnover' because my wardrobe itself has stayed pretty much the same through all of it, but I think because I buy very little my mindset is more interesting anyway. Or at least I hope so! I never realized how many little phases I've gone through, and this was *just* lolita. I also have a big interest in other j-fashion styles and especially gyaru which could warrant their own entire post.
Have you gone through any radical changes in style?

Comments

  1. This was so much fun to read and a great take on the prompt! My wardrobe also hasn't changed much in terms of the pieces that are in it (I only sold a handful of pieces, a few from early on and the rest were things that didn't fit), but it's true that we go through phases of striving for a particular look or feel. I might do this as a post on my own blog, I'll have a think and will try to identify all the phases that I went through. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading! I thought it might be too far from the original prompt but guess that wasn't a problem :D I'd love to read your take on it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?