My favourite Lolita brand

Next up on the list: my favourite lolita brand! I'm going to cheat here and not pick one but two, because unlike most lolitas my taste is alllll over the place. So in no particular order, my favourite brands are...


AP and Moitié! Was that obvious yet?
Can I just say that I love how much those logos clash? It's hilarious.

Somehow, despite my main style being oldschool, I don't actually like oldschool AP or Moitié that much. Oldschool Moitié is pretty, sure, but for whatever reason it never manages to scratch my oldschool itch like some 2002 Baby would. Old AP does have nice designs, but they tend to use lace that I just really don't like, and lace can really make or break a piece for me. Plus, they made some really questionable Baby replicas back in the day which...no.

So why do I like these brands specifically? Well, to me they're quintessentially "lolita". When I think of sweet lolita I think of 2010 Angelic Pretty, and when I think of gothic lolita I think of Mana. Of course besides that, my reasons for loving these two brands specifically are very different!

 I came to love Moitié because of their unique designs and gorgeous custom lace, and I love how sleek and low-poof and elegant the whole brand is. I also love the combo of electric blue and black (although I really wish they would quit that navy thing, navy and black or navy and electric blue are terrible colour combinations). When I was a newbie lolita, my number one dream dress was Iron Gate, and I even nearly bought a replica of it just because I adored the print and classy design so much. The materials are great too, I never need to iron any of my Moitié because of the poly fabric (not all polyester is evil!), the seams are really nicely done and all of it is STURDY. I once tripped and fell and scraped my knee pretty badly, but my Moitié sock on top was unscathed. They also sometimes use actual leather in their bags and gloves which I don't think any other brand does.

Pretty, pretty lace...

Something else I've always adored is how they make all kinds of random goods. Sure, lots of brands put out things like phonecases or plates sometimes, but then Moitié makes stuff like tissue pack covers, slippers and houserobes, and even Moitié lipstick. Do we need any of it? Nope. Do I want all of it? Yes. (in fact I already own a ten year old lipstick!)

Ever wanted brand pillowcases, pajamas or clotheshangers? No? Well, they exist nonetheless.

If I had to summarize what I love about Moitié and what I think of when I hear the name, it'd be toned down designs, interesting textures, blouses with openworked chest and big yet delicate jewelry.

So roughly this...I would've maybe picked some different dresses but their stockphotos are legendary kinds of terrible, especially the all black dresses.

As for Angelic Pretty, I love how clear their prints are, how they use custom lace and how they tend to stick to the same dress designs (or at least used to). I know a lot of people really dislike it, but I personally love the simplicity of a square bodice with some lace detail and a simple skirt to show off the print. I personally always feel that a busy bodice and fussy skirt detract from the print- tiers, overskirts and peplums are no friends of mine. I also love AP's headbows, they're so sturdy and perky and they don't give me a headache, unlike BTSSB's bows (although admittedly BTSSB's bows look nicer on flat hair, so there's that).

How I like my AP: interesting yet simple cuts, with an intricate print.

Something I also love is how certain themes and print come back, like cat prints or chocolate bar jacquard. I really like the idea of it slowly building into this huuuuge series with dozens of main pieces to pick from. Plus, if you didn't get the matching accessories to your dress this year, there's always next time!
An interesting little bonus is that you can see that years trends nicely in series like Melty Chocolate, since the print is always the same. Almost like a wearable little time capsule.

2011 to 2016. I love how it goes from cutesy to elegant.

What I think of when I think "AP" is bows upon bows, prints, head to toe pastels and of course their plastic jewellery. That stuff is my guilty pleasure. So overpriced, so cute. Especially if it has danglydoodles. I love dangly things.

My view of AP might be a lil bit outdated...

This post was a lot of fun to make! It made me think about what I think about certain brands and why, which is something I'd never really done before. Initially I wanted to add BTSSB's oldschool pieces and Metamorphoses velvet and sailor stuff in too, but I decided against it because I don't love the whole brand, just a part of it, and I already kinda stretched this topic by making it about two brands instead of one. Oh well!
What's your favourite brand and why?

Comments

  1. Tbh, Angelic Pretty still uses only two cuts, they're just different from what they used to be :P And you're right about Moitie novelties, I never realised that, but it's very true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?