Canmake stay on rouge balm review + Japanese drugstore pictures

Hello from Japan!! I'm currently traveling throughout the country and probably will be for a few months, so I'll probably be posting a bunch of Japan-centric stuff. I have a twitter for it, if you enjoy pictures of random interesting things and lots of food >> https://twitter.com/AnnaJCat

So while looking up weather patterns in Japan, I found out that Japan during the winter is a lot like during spring, aka dry as hell. At home I have a normal to oily skin and usually I need to touch up my T-zone several times daily, and I never need handcream or lipbalm. Here in Japan though, I got chapped lips for the first time in years. I brought my favourite lipsticks, only for me to never wear them because they dried my lips out even further. So, this time I left them all at home and figured I'd just buy them here because with such dry weather it would be silly for makeup companies not to latch onto that and make some super nourishing lipsticks. Turns out Canmake makes a very popular "tinted balm" that really is more of a sheer very vaseline-y lipstick that's very popular and comes in a lot of shades.


The Canmake shelf in Loft. So crammed! Canmake doesn't seem to do a lot of new fancy stuff, they just bring out new colours of existing products. Also you'll notice the light is different in each picture, I swear I tried! Lighting in Japanese shops is incredibly bad for some reason.


The balm rouge rack. For some reason some testers were underneath the balms themselves and then some others were in a different rack full of testers on the other side of the store. I have no idea why they did that.

 The corresponding swatches. The ones on my hand are of the limited colours which I found in a different shop, so no picture of the shelf. So of all of these, which did I get? I got...number 15, "elegant dahlia", which is the rightmost swatch on the left picture.


My teensy lip haul. The other lippie is Opera, I might do a full review on it later. Long story short, more expensive than Canmake, only 5 colours, more sheer, feels AMAZING, I'd recommend if you like sheer lips.
The Canmake one is super light because of the plastic packaging, it doesn't feel too high-end but personally I don't really mind as it -is- a cheap product. The cap is silver plastic instead of metal. The floral wrapper is super cute and each colour has its own, but I did notice they had faded a lot on the testers so I wonder how well that'll hold up. You twist the end of it to push up the balm, it screws a little tightly but that does mean it won't get pushed back down into the tube when applying unlike some other lipsticks. Also, oddly, the name of the colour isn't printed anywhere on the tube. I had to look up the website and compare the floral wrappers with the one I bought to find the name of it. So in short, the packaging is fine, it has some oddities, but the balm itself is like $5 and I think it's nice for that price.


Swatches and a picture of it on my lips, eyes blocked out to hide my tired face lol. The colour is sheer, even if it doesn't really look like it here. It's very lovely! It feels like vaseline on the lips and it got rid of my plane-dried lips immediately. The colour is not too in-your-face, even if it is one of the brightest balm colours they make. The applicator is pretty big so you it's hard to put it on perfectly, but because it's a sheer balm you don't really need to as it doesn't really show if you mess up a little. You do need to reapply after eating but it doesn't promise any longevity to begin with so I'm fine with that.

So all in all, I would recommend this lipstick if you like sheer tints. It's very nice and nourishing and it gives that your-lips-but-better effect if you don't buy it in bright red like me. I might go back and get a pink one too, at 580 yen per tube I don't really have a reason not to!

And to top off this little review, I took some more pictures in the store to show what else is on sale. To my surprise, western brands like L'Oreal and Rimmel have entirely different collections here! I expected there to be a special Japanese line but the entire lineup is different. (in my opinion, it's nicer too! Just sucks that it's also expensive thanks to the import costs.)


Eyeshadows, the middle shelf is Rimmel. I love love love that green on the top left!

 Something about the lamps in Loft made my camera get black bars over some pictures, gahh. I still had to show it though because these eyeshadows were like nothing I've ever seen. It's nearly all glitter and they're very pretty (the swatches don't do them justice) but the texture is VERY strange. Like the exact middle of a powder, a cream and a jelly eyeshadow.

 Multipurpose make-up blocks. Lippie/eyeshadow/blush on top, glittery lip topper/highlight on the bottom.

 Teenytiny vaseline tub and this Canmake lipstick with a cute heart on top.


Nail stickers and gems, very pretty. Unfortunately also around 400 yen per sheet, which isn't that much but too much to do a proper haul on on my budget.

That's it for now! I hope you like this review and the pictures, it's a bit of a mixed bag of a post but I know I love seeing this kinda stuff on other blogs so I'm assuming others do too!
Ciao!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bodyline review

Why gyaru died and lolita lives

Fukubukuro shopping, luckiest luckypack ever?